Field Service Technician
Location: Carol Stream, IL
The Service Technician performs the assembly, installation and commission of equipment. Troubleshoots and repairs mechanical problems and/or the built-in hardware & software control programming, which includes relay control circuits, electronic boards. Most machines are PC-controlled, some use PLC’s. Some machines are linked to Customer’s IT network. Performing Customer Service for the North & South American market and occasional support for other subsidiaries worldwide.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Installation and start-up of new & second-hand machines, including complete lines.
- Onsite repairs for machine breakdowns.
- Testing repaired items to ensure compliance with technical specifications.
- Packaging format tooling installation, set-up & testing. Performing trials with products and packaging formats at customers’ sites.
- PLC program modification (mostly PC based Softlogic -Isagraf, B&R, Allen Bradley and occasionally Siemens, Servo Drives). Required to assist design department in the measuring of machines.
- Perform quality control tests on repaired equipment, as needed.
- Provide basic training for customer operators and maintenance technicians.
- Perform product and packaging format testing at customer sites.
- Provide technical advice to the customer (Best Maintenance Practice, Spare parts recommendations, availability of upgrades and retrofits).
- Establish and implement the technical instruction programs for customers.
- Preventive Maintenance contracts: Visit worksites on a regular basis to do preventive maintenance on instrumentation, controls, breakers, motors, drives (electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic), circuit boards, PLC’s, and other associated equipment according to the manufacturers' recommended schedules and whenever emergencies arise. During these calls, inspect equipment for faults and completeness. Test equipment to determine operational condition. Troubleshoot to determine location and extent of equipment faults. Repair and/or replace defective equipment and/or components.
- Inspect and upgrade used machines.
- Responsible for the quality inspection of parts that were returned and reworked as a result of an installation to ensure the customer receives the correct updates.
- Occasionally preparing shows and exhibitions using Company equipment.
- Dismantling of machines for refurbishment or moving.
- During each visit, informs Service Manager by written report of progress and/or issues that may have occurred during the visit.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Office work (reports, spare parts lists, customer advice, etc.).
- Create detailed service visit reports for customers and Company.
- Prepare, review, and consolidate technical and administrative service reports and requests.
- Providing detailed feedback for root cause analysis to design, sales or manufacturing teams for corrective action. This includes drawings, measurements and any recommendations for improvement.
- Advise customers (using communication tools – phone, email, Teams, Skype) regarding troubleshooting, spare parts and service.
- Updating customers data files and completing all documentation within the scope of the job including and, not limited to, Customer Supplied Product/Non-Conforming material, Service Report, in field action reports and Customer Request Forms.
- Support electrical engineering (update drawings, debug programs, etc.).
- Help in the workshop during the debug and test phase.
- Support in-house service (phone support, fill test, internal training).
- Onsite repairs for machine breakdowns. Test repaired items to ensure compliance with technical specifications.
- Minimum of an Associate Degree in Electronic Technology. Practical experience may be substituted for years of education.
- Should be able to apply principles and theories of electronics, electrical circuitry, engineering and mathematics.
- Ability to read and understand assembly drawings, standard operating procedures and Bills of Materials.
- Follow verbal and written work instructions and blueprints.
- Candidate should be able to troubleshoot and work independently.
- Read and interpret wiring diagrams, schematics, and mechanical drawings.
- Should be able to use multimeters, oscilloscopes, deadweight testers, pneumatic calibrators, electric-motor diagnostic equipment, and other associated instrumentation to perform diagnostics and troubleshooting of Company equipment.
- Candidate should be computer literate and be familiar with distributive control system hardware and software.
Knowledge and Skills
- Candidate should be able to modify the control logics and add rungs/sub-routines in the field as required by customer.
- Candidate should have a strong mechanical aptitude.
- Candidate should be able to read and understand pneumatic and hydraulic drawings.
- Interact well with customers and answer their questions, promoting customer satisfaction and good will.
- Very strong knowledge of the electrical, mechanical, and electronic industrial applications.
- Strong knowledge of automation with PLC’s (Allen Bradley, Siemens) and PC’s (Softlogic e.g. Isagraf).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Fluent in English.
- Knowledge of the Spanish language is a big advantage.
- Knowledge of the French language is an advantage.
- MUST be able to travel at least 80% of the time
- Responsible for making proper travel arrangements to meet the customer’s needs and expectations while considering all costs incurred by the customer and Company when planning.
- Willing and able to work weekends and overtime.
- Able to cope in/with stressful situations.
- Able to prioritize workload.
- Excellent Customer Service skills, in person, on the phone and by email.
- Good awareness of Health & Safety issues:
- Work in compliance with the company’s Health & Safety policies and procedures, OSHA and any relevant Health & Safety legislation.
- Report all concerns and injuries to Accounting Manager.
- Report any hazards or contraventions of which the employee is aware.
- Work in a safe manner.
- Report all injuries to the supervisor/first aid attendant immediately.
- Comply with all customer Health & Safety requirements.
- In case of no customer safety regulations, Company’s standards are the minimum requirement for safety and Company’s policies are to be followed.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Responsible for meeting customer’s needs during installations. This includes portraying a good image of Company, solving production problems for customers and training the customer in the use of the supplied product.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Responsible for troubleshooting problems and modifying or fabricating parts as required at the jobsite either with or without drawings.
- Willing to self-educate to expand knowledge of machine.
- Must possess personal toolbox with hand-tools (minimum contents to be defined by the company).
- Responsible for reviewing the Scope of Projects to ensure the customers’ needs and expectations are understood, and the proper tools and equipment are obtained before starting any installation.
- Manage multiple projects with flexibility of adapting to changing priorities.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be a team player.
Work is performed largely in an office or climate-controlled warehouse environment. Some hours will be spent at various remote locations. Hours of work are generally during regular business. There will be some variation in work hours due to employee shift schedules, special projects, deadlines, customer needs and various other business concerns. Out of town and overnight travel, both local and international, is required for business and education, by air and/or auto. Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds, as well as, the ability to bend, kneel, walk or sit for extended periods of time. The ability to reach above head, reach below knees, climb, and work at elevation is also required. Depending on scope of work, the exposure to material handling equipment, dust, moderate noise, and the use of personal protective equipment will occur.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by the employee assigned to this position. It does not state or imply that these are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to the job. The employee may be required to perform other job-related duties as requested. All requirements and duties are subject to change over time.
If you wish to review our other job opportunities, please go to our careers page: https://onwardeds.catsone.com/careers/10533-General
Be sure to follow us on LinkedIn to stay current with our cutting-edge industry advancements and development: https://www.linkedin.com/company/onward-technologies/jobs/
Onward Technologies is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, compensation, benefits promotions, training, termination or any other condition of employment or career development. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, veteran status, disability status or any other legally protected status.