CAE Engineer II- Contract
Farmington Hills, MI
Manager – Engineering Analysis
Scope of Job:
Knows and applies fundamental engineering and materials concepts, practices, and procedures. Works under minimal supervision and performs tasks that are somewhat varied and complex in nature. Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines and standards to perform the functions of the job, which require a limited degree of originality, latitude, and independent judgment.
Performs testing and analysis of the design and materials related to new automotive lighting product development and manufacturing.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Establishes schedules for testing and analysis required for lighting projects
- Provides guidance and technical advice to design engineers and designers regarding thermal, venting, and structural design and analysis needs for new lighting projects
- Performs finite element analysis (FEA) for thermal/venting (Thermal Engineer) or vibration/structural (Structural Engineer) design of automotive lighting, and prepares reports that outline the analysis and conclusions per specific job discipline
- Provides theoretical calculations for physical experiments, and substantiates them test data
- Compares test data to theoretical models, and presents the results of the physical aspects of automotive lamps that were tested
- Submit the test request and follow-up the testing validation per the simulation suggestions for lamp projects
- Conduct the CAE and testing correlation to improve the simulation prediction
- Pre-processes CAD files for FEA applications
- Engages in CAE software technology development for automotive lighting
- Develops and updates design standards related to the physical aspects of automotive lamps
- Develops thermal, venting, or structural design work instructions, as needed, to document thermal, venting, or structural design techniques
- Assists design engineers with design feasibility studies
- Recommends design changes based on results of prototype and production hardware tests.
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Education & Experiences - One of the following:
- Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related Field job plus 3 years of CAE working experience (PHD in Mechanical Engineering or related field plus working experience in CAE preferred)
- Bachelor’s Degree in M.E. or related field plus 5 years of CAE working experience,
- 2 to 4 years of physical science testing experience, to include experience with:
- Thermal or Structural testing experience is required
- Computer simulation and modeling
- Strong knowledge, skills, and abilities in the following areas:
- Knowledge and understanding of:
- Testing methods and government requirements for automotive lighting designs
- The physical principles of automotive lighting design
- The materials used in the design and manufacture of automotive lighting products
- Ability to successfully complete a thermal/venting (Thermal Engineer) or vibration/structural (Structural Engineer) design through feasibility, design, testing, certification, launch, and production support
- Ability to operate engineering lab test equipment, plus related hardware and software (NX Nastran for FEA, NX Thermal & FloEFD for thermal analysis, Optistruct, and Hypermesh).
- Good understanding and skills at mesh and modeling for thermal and structure problems.
- Data acquisition, data analysis, and problem solving skills
- Organizational, planning, and project management skills
- Good coaching, and mentoring skills
- Computer skills ― ability to proficiently use standard business software (including MS Office),
- Written and verbal communications and presentation skills
- Interpersonal skills ― ability to confidently interact with individuals at all levels of authority and maintain composure in stressful, confrontational, and/or sensitive situations
If you wish to review our other job opportunities, please go to our careers page: https://onwardeds.catsone.com/careers/10533-General
Be sure to follow us on LinkedIn to stay current with our cutting-edge industry advancements and development: https://www.linkedin.com/company/onward-technologies/jobs/
Onward Technologies is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, compensation, benefits promotions, training, termination or any other condition of employment or career development. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, veteran status, disability status or any other legally protected status.