Mechanical Design Engineer III/IV
Location: Northern Milwaukee, WI
- Responsible for mechanical design and required customer/ company documentation for the machines/ equipment, tooling, and fixtures produced by company according to customer specifications, or specifications developed in conjunction with application engineering and/or the customer that also meet cost targets and timing deadlines.
- Development of mechanical designs created in a timely manner that meet or exceed the specifications and budgetary requirements.
- Either performs themselves or may oversee the detailing of component parts, check accuracy of details to ensure that machinists, welders, and assemblers have all information needed to produce the components.
- Selections of purchased items during design phase that are cost effective, meet delivery requirements, follow customer specifications, and are sized properly are key.
- Creation of detailed floorplan layouts; generation of sequence of operations, pneumatic cylinder and transformer charts for electrical engineering; follow up on shop component production & machine/tool assembly to ensure proper function and quality is maintained; lead/coordinate internal and customer design reviews; assist with "customer care" functions (spare parts list, training requirements, resolution of issues, etc.) at the customer's location.
- Minimum of Associate’s Degree, and 5 years related and progressive experience in machine design, automation, and/or tooling environments.
- Requires competency in SolidWorks 2020 (Certified SolidWorks Associate [CWSA] certification is desirable), experience working in a PDM vault environment is desirable; AutoCAD background is helpful.
- Understanding of welding processes (MIG & Resistance), machining and assembly processes, robot reach and capacity exposure, and ergonomics a strong plus.
- Working knowledge of G.D.&T. (Geometric dimensioning and tolerancing) is highly desirable.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software.
- Requires strong verbal and written communications; strong documentation and organizing skills; critical thinking, decision making, and problem solving skills; solid mathematical/analytical proficiency.
- Main activities of this position are carried out in an open office environment and entail extensive periods of sitting at a computer station with a high attention to detail and accuracy.
- During build cycle, time is required to spend on the shop floor in consultation with other managers/workers, and customers.
- Frequent interface with individuals at all levels of the organization, with vendors and customers at the Company's facility as well as at the customers' locations.
If you wish to review our other job opportunities, please go to our careers page: https://onwardeds.catsone.com/careers/10533-General