CNC Machinist III / IV
Location: Northern Milwaukee, WI
- The specific work can differ each day, depending on the parts being created; primary role is to produce machine parts and tools using precision CNC (computer numerical control) and manual machining equipment.
- Set up, create programming instructions, adjust and maintain equipment used in daily job activities.
- Maintain quality and safety standards, keep records, maintain equipment and machining supplies.
- Plan the machining steps by studying blueprints, engineering sketches, interpreting dimensions and tolerances, materials specifications, and machining parameters.
- Discuss part designs with Engineer and/or Supervisor to guarantee manufacturability, and collaborate to modify designs when existing ones are not feasible.
- Determine the fixtures, attachments and tools necessary to complete jobs according to specifications, mount them to machine prior to beginning cutting.
- Program machines by entering instructions, zero and reference points; setting tool registers, offsets, compensation, and conditional switches.
- Oversee cutting process, make adjustments, modifying machine speed, tooling and cutting style to ensure precision and accuracy of manufactured parts.
- Diligent in catching mistakes as they happen and take necessary measures to eliminate errors.
- Supervise machine temperatures, ensure machine has adequate warm-up and cool-down time between jobs and replace coolant periodically. Inspect all finished components for accuracy and uniformity. Maintain safe operations.
- Perform daily, weekly and monthly maintenance tasks to ensure machine longevity, including lubrication, cleaning and tool replacement.
- Requires a minimum of high school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum 3 years experience in setting up, programming (G Code), troubleshooting, and operating CNC and manual lathes and milling machines; comfortable using tools and maintaining machinery.
- Solid grasp of machining practices and various metal characteristics.
- Read blueprints, interpret dimensioning, use various precision measuring equipment to validate quality.
- Arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and trigonometry, and their application is a requirement.
- Knowledge and use of CAM software is a plus.
- Basically work independently.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is required (safety glasses, shoes, gloves, etc.).
- High level of accuracy is required.
- Must have hand-eye coordination and be able to work in an environment where standing is the norm.
If you wish to review our other job opportunities, please go to our careers page: https://onwardeds.catsone.com/careers/10533-General