Mechanical Designer’s primary duty is to design special test and assembly machines via Autodesk Inventor and AutoCAD. The Mechanical Designer will be given a specification for a machine with its purpose. Working with other departments (proposal, sales, controls, software, purchasing and manufacturing), the Mechanical Designer will produce a finalized machine drawing packages to specification for customer delivery.
- Must be self-motivated and work autonomously and/or as a team, as necessary, to meet or beat machine design scheduling deadlines
- Must be able to communicate effectively with all departments and customers as necessary.
- Must be able to concept, design, detail and check, and release (for purchasing and manufacturing) mechanical machines and/or mechanisms, components, etc.
- Must be able to chair or host design review meetings as required.
- Must be able to select, size and integrate into design, purchased components as necessary to aide in the proper function of machine design.
- Must be able to size appropriately pneumatic/hydraulic cylinders, gears, pulleys, motors, etc.
- Must be competent in selecting materials, surface coatings and heat treatments as necessary for mechanical design.
- Must be proficient in the debug and troubleshooting of machines on shop floor or customer facility
- Responsible for updating and ensuring drawing set is complete and accurate for customer after machine build and installation.
- Responsible to provide line-up for controls and programming departments after mechanical design and shop for build.
- This list is not comprehensive.
- Vocational training or Associate of Applied Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Design required or equivalent years of industry design experience.
- Experience in the design of special assembly and test machines and equipment. Automotive powertrain, transmission, axle, and clutches a plus
- Proficient in Autodesk Inventor (3D design) or Solid Works experience.
- Proficient in 2D AutoCAD.
- Proficient in Office applications such as Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, etc.
- Strong technical and hands-on debug skills.
- Practical working knowledge of components such as air / hydraulic cylinders, robots, gaging systems, motors, servos, proximity sensors, LVDTS, torque transducers, etc.