Title: Mechanical Engineer
Location: Auburn Hills, MI
Responsible for mechanical equipment design from concept through the development of final layouts and bills of material. Scope of responsibility is typically limited to single mechanical elements of a larger system. Reviews, interprets and supports the development of specifications, develops concept sketches, develops final layouts and bills of material, supports manufacturing and build of equipment, and resolves mechanical commissioning issues.
- Compliance with company, legal, and regulatory requirements for Health, Safety, and Environmental topics in order to foster a culture of Health & Safety.
- Executes equipment design, feasibility studies, preparation of specifications, and technical documentation.
- Carries out engineering solutions and designs in compliance with engineering principles, company standards, customer requirements and project specifications. Applies design standards and generic design patterns.
- Develops and designs mechanical solutions for equipment of different kinds that provides specified and required functionality and cost effectiveness.
- Review and interpret mechanical specifications.
- Develop concept sketches for mechanical devices related to assembly systems.
- Ability to execute engineering design for powertrain assembly automation systems using Inventor 3D and/or Solidworks 3D is required. AutoCAD 2D is also required and NX 3D preferred.
- Experience in designing powertrain assembly automation equipment (for example, engine assembly lines, transmission assembly lines, cylinder head assembly lines) is required.
- Develop design/layout of cost unit & cost unit element.
- Present/review design with others including customer.
- Create balloon layout.
- Create details drawings and check drawings for proper detailing.
- Create all necessary deliverables for engineering release including bill of material (BOM), and then release BOM for procurement.
- Regular attendance at the assigned job site(s). Supplemental Duties and Responsibilities · Complete technical specification.
- Supports communication with customers, suppliers, and company project team regarding all design issues on assigned project in support of the Project Manager.
- Support PSM coordination with major equipment and minor component suppliers, including specifying requirements, securing quotations, securing required tk SY ID numbers, releasing purchased content, and answering technical questions.
- Support mechanical assembly.
- Resolve mechanical debug/commissioning issues (locally and in field) including redesign, revising BOM, and releasing purchased content.
- Other duties may be assigned as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field from a college/university and 4 years of experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to understand specifications, including company, customer, government and safety
- Ability to understand customer and applicable international standard requirements.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as statistics, trigonometry and reliability calculations. Ability to interpret technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- The individual must have the ability to execute engineering design for the product using 2D and 3D CAD software.
- Working knowledge of product lifecycle management software.
- Working knowledge of project scheduling software (i.e. Workfront).
- bility to utilize personal computer equipped with electronic database, spreadsheet, and word processor software.
- Capable of executing detailer role.