Title: Lean & Waste Reduction Engineer
Location: Washington, DC - Philadelphia, PA - New York, NY - Boston, MA and/or Chicago, IL
This role is responsible for performing all technical management of Waste Systems. The engineer must plan, coordinate and help execute all aspects of Waste maintenance programs with Maintenance and Operations personnel. The Engineer develops maintenance procedures, methods, and engineering specifications necessary for the maintenance of all legacy and future rolling stock.
- Leads complex technical meetings. Prepares data-supported analysis, reports, and specifications in support of safety, reliability, and availability.
- Interprets machine output data for trends to proactively identify Waste issues to prevent non-compliant defects.
- Performs failure or root cause analyses of equipment safety and service issues; works with the Manager of System Operations and Sr. Manager(s) RSE Equipment Engineering on trainset reliability as a System Health Manager.
- Reports on Waste Systems conditions as necessary to regulatory agencies such as the FRA.
- Analyzes Waste Systems defects to develop/ document quality initiatives, and improve engineering work practices to improve the maintenance plans in the Work Management System (WMS) using RCM principles.
- Required to support Waste Systems throughout the System to ensure vendor compliance and cover warranty issues.
- 3 years of relevant experience
- BS Degree in Engineering or equivalent combination of training, education and relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of rolling stock mechanical and equipment systems with problem-solving skills related to wheels and bogies.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to troubleshoot wheel true functions and read measuring devices such as mini-profs, calipers, micrometers, etc. in order to identify machine faults before major problems arise.
- Demonstrated ability to trend and predict component wear with a high level of accuracy through analysis of raw data and measurements
- Experience in working effectively with agreement and non-agreement employees.
- Demonstrate sound leadership, and project management skills and be a self-starter.
- Thorough knowledge of FRA and AAR regulatory rules as they relate to rolling stock equipment.
- Experience with wheel truing machine operations and maintenance procedures.
- Strong knowledge of locomotive and car mechanical systems.
- Constructive problem-solving skills, including demonstrated equipment troubleshooting skills.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- PC skills including proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel, electronic work management and scheduling systems.
- MS Degree in Engineering or related discipline.
- 5-6 years of relevant experience
- Railroad or rail transit-related experience.
- Demonstrated experience in wheel true operations, quality auditing and operator training.
- Significant experience working with Tier I or Tier II Passenger Equipment.
- Experience demonstrating knowledge of QA Standards including ISO 9000, AAR M-1003, MIL STD 9858A.
- Proficiency using a WMS and OMS systems as well as a Maintenance Analysis Program, Tableau, Microsoft Visio and Standard Maintenance Procedures.