|Job Title & Requisition ID||Mechanical Engineer 3 - 1475-1|
|Job Description||The main function of a mechanical engineer is to research and investigate the design, functionality and maintenance of mechanical products, equipment, systems and processes. A typical mechanical engineer has the ability to make engineering drawings, and read and interpret blueprints.
• Research, design, develop, manufacture, and test tools, engines, machines and other mechanical devices.
• Research and analyze customer design proposals, specifications, manuals to determine time and cost feasibility to complete projects.
• Investigate equipment failures and difficulties to diagnose faulty operation and make recommendation to maintenance crew.
• Assist drafters in developing the structural design of products using tools, equipment or software.
|Position’s Contributions to Work Group||Position’s Contributions to Work Group:
- Resolve design issues on new product introduction program in Sanford, NC. Must be on-site to support investigation, development and validation work. Investigate design issues and determine root cause. Design and test sheet metal and fluid lines solutions on machines. Determine time and cost feasibility to complete projects. Communicate all project parameters to the broader cross-functional teams. Manage project documentation in the NPI tool. Oversee installation and validation of design improvements at the local Sanford test site to ensure that machines are functioning according to specifications
Reason/motivation for request:
- Addition of design resource to Chassis NPI team to support a large New Product Introduction program
|Typical Day in the Role|
|Typical task breakdown:
- Ownership of Chassis NPI designs: Concept through engineering releasing
- Responsible for interacting with process partners & stakeholders during design development process; Complete design reviews
- Lead troubleshooting & test/fit-up activities on Prove Design & Pilot machines.
- Chassis designs monitoring on Prove Design & Pilot machines
- Attend regular team meetings & other standing technical meetings
Interaction with team:
- Within Chassis NPI team à High
- With cross-functional teams (Manuf, Prod Supp, Purchasing) à High- With Suppliers à Medium to High
- With Customers –à Low
- Expected to be available in office for duration of work week
- Will be part of the product NPI engineering group involved in delivering a large-scale New Product Introduction
- Fast-paced work environment with emphasis on discovering & addressing issues in a timely manner to be ready for production launch
- Flexibility available in typical work week schedule to accommodate personal commitments
|Education & Experience Required:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering required
- 5-7 years’ experience required
- Ability to make sketches, engineering drawings and common computations
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, technical drawing, schematics and computer-generated reports
- Knowledge of interpreting & applying Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Ability to do 3D modeling for sheet metal & fluid lines
- Experience with Creo Parametric solid modeling software
- Background/experience using Caterpillar PLM systems like Teamcenter
- Experience with using Finite Element Analysis modules within CAD software
- Experience with Caterpillar proprietary Fluid Lines Design tool
- Knowledge of industry standard fluid lines connectors/technology