Controls Engineer III / IV
Location: Northern Milwaukee, WI
- Responsible for designing control systems according to customer specifications, or specifications developed in conjunction with application engineering and/or the customer, including mechanical sequencing of operations.
- Systems entail high voltage wiring, safety circuits, PLC I/O wiring, wiring to various devices, fluid power and pneumatic applications.
- Provide the electrical design then program code for the control systems, including PLC, HMI, safety and other devices, and load code to the machine for setup of communications (DeviceNet, Ethernet, etc. as required), and programming of external devices.
- Testing & debugging of the machine, for collaborating on developing welds if part of the process, testing safety circuits and fault logic, messaging and recovery, and verifying cycle time.
- Full life cycle responsibility for the project.
- Plan the electrical and pneumatic circuit designs & then document them in AutoCAD and Excel for the bill of materials. This is done with close communication with the Mechanical Engineering team to integrate the system controls with the mechanical portion of every project.
- Followed with the creation of the PLC and HMI code in a variety of software platforms (typically Rockwell). The PLC code will be in ladder logic format and projects can include servo automation, motors, panel wiring design and interconnection planning, robotic interfaces, safety controllers, machine vision subsystems.
- During design process, evaluate, requisition, and follow up with purchasing the components to best meet engineering application and budgetary constraints. Can include investigating new technologies into machines to ensure that the systems achieve high quality, competitively priced, state-of-the-art equipment, which best meets customer’s requirements.
- Once the build has begun on the floor, responsible for equipment startup and troubleshooting both on the shop floor and in the Customer’s plant. Also provide system documentation and develop an appropriate user manual.
- Provide technical customer support via telephone, email, and onsite visits as required. Communicate effectively (oral and written) with other employees of the organization and customers in a quick and accurate manor.
- Preferred Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering plus 3 years related & progressive experience.
- Requires competency in AutoCad, thorough understanding of HMI design practices, PLC Ladder Logic, and a working knowledge of industrial networks. Basic understanding of electrical codes (National Electrical Code, NFPA, ANSI) and safety requirements as related to industrial equipment, awareness of machine & workplace ergonomics, as well as Microsoft Office software.
- Working experience with Fanuc, Panasonic, Motoman and other robot brands is desirable.
- Principal activities are carried out in an office environment requiring extensive periods of sitting at a computer station.
- Frequently spend time on the shop floor debugging the process or in consultation with other managers/workers, and customers.
- Also requires travel to customer sites (some travel international) for installation and service requirements. This travel can be up to 30% of the time but on average throughout the year will be near 15%.
If you wish to review our other job opportunities, please go to our careers page: https://onwardeds.catsone.com/careers/10533-General